Re: Translation of the Org mode manual (was: Translation of manuals (was

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Translation of the Org mode manual (was: Translation of manuals (was: SES manual French translation))
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 23:10:57 +0000

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Using Org format for the source of a document, and converting it to
> texi for processing (for instance, through TeX) would be a fine method
> to use, if it worked.  But it doesn't actually work.
>
> The problem is that it cannot work, given Org format as it exists now.
> It cannot properly represent manuals that use the GNU standard style
> because it does not have ways to represent all the distinctions that
> are needed.

This is not true. We can generate a precise TeXinfo markup from Org
files even now using export snippets: @@texinfo:<direct texinfo code>@@

So, Org mode manual in particular can be adapted if absolutely
necessary.

Another question is that having native Org mode constructs for
manual-specific markup would make things less verbose and ad-hoc. But
that question is out of scope of this particular discussion, which is
focused on translation tools.

> I would like Org format to be extended in this way.
>
> Texinfo format is often misunderstood.  People write GNU manuals
> without knowing of all these constructs, so they use the wrong
> construct.  If Org format were extended to do _the whole job_, we
> could convert all manuals to Org format once and for all.
>
> A few years ago I raised this idea, but nobody wanted to work on it.

Your idea is not forgotten. But the resources for Org mode development
are limited. In particular, I am currently not prioritizing adding
brand-new features in favour of helping contributors, improving the
existing functionality, and fixing the existing problems.

If somebody is interested to work on adding new Org mode features like
custom inline markup, please contact Org mode mailing list. We can guide
the volunteers through the contribution process and help with any
questions when they arise.
See https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,