Re: help with gnus-icalendar.el and orgmode agenda

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: help with gnus-icalendar.el and orgmode agenda
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 22:55:41 +0000

"Stephen J. Eglen" <sje30@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> When I use this package on icalendar attachments, it creates entries
> that look like this:

>    <2024-02-22 18:30-20:00>
>
> Note that the timestamp DOES NOT include a day of the week.  With the
> default settings of org-time-stamp-formats, i.e.
>
> ("%Y-%m-%d %a" . "%Y-%m-%d %a %H:%M")
>
> this means that the agenda does not show this entry -- which defeats the
> purpose of me saving the icalendar entry!  If I manually add the dayname
> then the agenda item appears.

<2024-02-22 18:30-20:00> is a valid timestamp. Agenda not handling it is
an oversight that should be fixed.

That said...

>    (format "<%s %s-%s%s>" start-date start-time end-time repeat)
>
> which does not include the dayname.

could certainly be improved. Having a day name increases readability.
Also, we may change the format in future, adding time zones as well.
I recommend using `org-time-stamp-format' when creating Org mode
timestamps or even `org-element-timestamp-interpreter'.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,