Re: [patch] ox.latex.el: Add missing character warnings

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [patch] ox.latex.el: Add missing character warnings
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 21:20:34 +0000

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:
>
>>> When I try the patch with a simple file like
>>>
>>> Hello. 你好。
>>>
>>> I do not see any warnings or errors indicated.
>>
>> How weird... And don't they at least appear in the *Messages* buffer?
>> With your example, they appear to me with pdfLaTeX, lualatex and XelaTeX
>> (I have used the default value of org-latex-pdf-process):
>
> I did
>
> 1. Install your patch on top of the latest main
> 2. make repro
> 3. Open /tmp/1.org and enter
> Hello. 你好.
> 4. C-c C-e l o
>
> In *Messages* I see
> For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
> Org mode version 9.7-pre (release_9.6.18-1196-g8bd0dd @
> /home/yantar92/Git/org-mode/lisp/)
> (New file)
> Making completion list... [3 times]
> Saving file /tmp/1.org...
> Wrote /tmp/1.org
> Wrote /tmp/1.tex
> Processing LaTeX file 1.tex...
> PDF file produced.
> Running xdg-open /tmp/1.pdf...done
>
> My `org-latex-pdf-process' is
> ("latexmk -f -pdf -%latex -interaction=nonstopmode -output-directory=%o %f")
> since I have latexmk installed.

I have done the same, on a clean Emacs init. Warning appears.

And in *Messages*:

PDF file produced with warnings: [unicode character(s) not set up for use with
pdflatex. You can run lualatex or xelatex instead]

In *Org PDF LaTeX Output*:

! LaTeX Error: Unicode character 你 (U+4F60)
               not set up for use with LaTeX.

(this error is the one that passes as a warning in my patch when
compiled with pdfLaTeX).