Re: Asynchronous blocks for everything (was Re: [BUG] Unexpected result

From: Jack Kamm
Subject: Re: Asynchronous blocks for everything (was Re: [BUG] Unexpected result when evaluating python src block asynchronously [9.7-pre (release_9.6.17-1131-gc9ed03.dirty @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)])
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 09:04:24 -0800

Matt <matt@excalamus.com> writes:

> AFAIK, aside from appending "&", =make-process= is the only way.  It would
> probably make sense to continue using =shell= though.  If I understand
> correctly, you (and others) jump between the Org buffer block and the comint
> buffer?

Yes, I typically use ob-R and ob-python in this way. Aside from the
convenience of interacting directly with the REPL, the comint mode may
provide other useful facilities, for example in ob-R the inferior ESS
mode provides completion that is aware of the objects in the current
session.

However I think modifying `org-babel-eval' will mainly be useful to
provide async to the nonsession users. Comint-based sessions mainly use
functionality from ob-comint.el, not ob-eval.el, and I think that the
use cases are different enough that they shouldn't be merged into a
single implementation.