Re: Asynchronous blocks for everything (was Re: [BUG] Unexpected result

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Asynchronous blocks for everything (was Re: [BUG] Unexpected result when evaluating python src block asynchronously [9.7-pre (release_9.6.17-1131-gc9ed03.dirty @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)])
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 20:10:38 +0000

Matt <matt@excalamus.com> writes:

>  > Note that we already have a WIP an asynchronous API in the works.
>  > Check out `org-async-call' in
>  > https://code.tecosaur.net/tec/org-mode/src/branch/dev/lisp/org-macs.el#L377
>  > If possible, we should reuse it.
>
> :O
>
> - What's the status?

Finalizing.

Check https://github.com/tecosaur/org-latex-preview-todos/issues/

> - Are there any notes or supplements that go along with it?

Docstring should detail the API.

>> I have several general questions:
>>
>> - what if append/prepend to result asynchronously?
>> - what if we replace the result, call async evaluation two times, and they
>> arrive in opposite order (first called is calculated after the second)?
>> - on failure, Org babel sometimes uses ~org-babel-eval-error-notify~. How
>> will it interact with asynchronous evaluation? What if we have multiple
>> simultaneously arriving error notifications?
>> Example: try running
>> #+begin_src bash
>> idontexist
>> #+end_src
>
> Are these open questions for the `org-async-call' implementation?

No. These are about the patch. And have nothing to do with
`org-async-call', which is just a way to call and queue async processes.
`org-async-call' was written for async latex preview, but its interface
should be generic enough to be reused for babel.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,