User set org-hide-block-startup value overwritten by defvaralias

From: Ruiyang Wu
Subject: User set org-hide-block-startup value overwritten by defvaralias
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 11:49:30 -0500

Hi there,

Thanks for maintaining this great piece of software.

I recently started to get the following warning from emacs when loading org mode:
Warning (defvaralias): Overwriting value of ‘org-hide-block-startup’ by aliasing to ‘org-cycle-hide-block-startup’

I have this in my init file:
(setq org-hide-block-startup t)

I believe the value t is not preserved because in org.el, it first loads org-cycle.el which assigns nil to org-cycle-hide-block-startup, and then executes (defvaralias 'org-hide-block-startup 'org-cycle-hide-block-startup) so the value of org-hide-block-startup is overwritten to nil.

Some quick search on the internet seems to suggest that defvaralias should be called first before giving org-cycle-hide-block-startup its default value. (Cf. https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5950)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Best,
Ruiyang