org-mode: example blocks are no longer syntax highlighted in emacs

From: Rudi C
Subject: org-mode: example blocks are no longer syntax highlighted in emacs
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 18:32:46 +0330

After upgrading to emacs 29.2 and org 9.7, my example blocks are no longer syntax highlighted in emacs. They used to be syntax highlighted when I specified the block's language. Any ideas?

I use Doom, so it might have been a third-party feature.

I know org-mode officially suggests that example blocks should not have syntax highlighting, but I want it anyway. IMO `:eval never` is just not as good, not to mention tools like `pandoc` also produce example blocks from markdown source blocks.

Current Behavior:
[![enter image description here][1]][1]

Old (Correct) Behavior:
[![enter image description here][2]][2]

I have asked about this on SE:
- [org-mode: example blocks are no longer syntax highlighted in emacs - Emacs Stack Exchange](https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/80459/org-mode-example-blocks-are-no-longer-syntax-highlighted-in-emacs)

PS: Please use reply-to-all, I am not subscribed to the list.

  [1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/U9II9.png
  [2]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/lNNtO.png