Re: Radio links work only in small numbers

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Radio links work only in small numbers
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:21:26 +0000

Noboru Ota <me@nobiot.com> writes:

> - MAX_BUF_SIZE in src/regex-emacs.c is, if I understand the comment
>   around it correctly, 2^15 bytes = 32768 bytes.
>
> - `org-target-link-regexp-limit` is 2^11 bytes = 2048 bytes (?).
>
> - For my 5000 terms, (length org-target-link-regexp) => 103603 (what's
>   the unit of measure?)
>
> - (string-bytes org-target-link-regexp) => 103603, the same number.

org-target-link-regexp does not matter in this case. For this long
regexps I introduced a new variable org-target-link-regexps that
contains a list of shorter regexps. This list is used instead of
org-target-link-regexp.

> - If I evaluate the following to try to get a compiled length of the
>   regexp, 88785.

By "compiled", I did not mean byte-compiled. Regexp compilation is a
completely different beast. It is performed by Emacs C internals,
converting string regexp into representation used by regexp matching
code. This compiled representation is not exposed to Elisp.

If you want to learn more about regexp matching theory and
implementation, you may check
https://blog.burntsushi.net/regex-internals/

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,