Re: R session error (org-babel)

From: William Denton
Subject: Re: R session error (org-babel)
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 00:30:03 +0000

On Wednesday, March 6th, 2024 at 05:56, Esteban Venialgo <tetumetal@posteo.net>
wrote:

> I tried the =emacs -Q=, and still get the same problem. Before exporting the
> code, I ran this lisp from the scratch pad:
>
> ;; enable language support for R
> (org-babel-do-load-languages
> 'org-babel-load-languages
> '((R . t)
> (shell . t)
> (latex . t)
> (emacs-lisp . nil)))

Hmm! It does work for me.  I'm on Ubuntu 22.04, running Emacs and Org from the
development tree (so 30.0.50 and 9.7-pre).

I ran =emacs -Q= (and also =make repro= from in the Org source tree, which is
another useful tool for testing), and executed these lines in a scratch buffer:

# -----
(org-babel-do-load-languages 'org-babel-load-languages '(
     (R . t)
     (shell . t)
     ))
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/elpa/ess-20240229.2054")
(require 'ess-r-mode)
# -----

We're the same up to ESS.  (I had to check the version number on ESS to get the
path right, but that's the latest release installed.)  Looking back, did you
not mention using ESS?  I've never used R in Emacs without it.  If you weren't
using ESS, what happens if you install it and use it?

Just for the sake of documentation: then I made an r.org file with the snippet
and ran it, and it worked:

# ----
#+begin_src R :session test
  A <- 1