Re: ob-haskell and changing executables?

From: Bruno Barbier
Subject: Re: ob-haskell and changing executables?
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 10:30:54 +0100

Hi Laurence,

Laurence von Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm on Debian 12 and I just started using Haskell's ghcup tools, leaving
> the stack tools behind, as advised these days. ghcup puts executables for
> Haskell such as ghc, ghci (REPL), cabal, etc. in its ~/.ghcup/bin
> directory. Next, to stop using the stack tools that have executables in
> /usr/bin/ you must change your PATH to go to ~/.ghcup/bin first. But when I
> try a Babel code block, ob-haskell seems to have the /usr/bin versions
> hardwired somewhere and calls up the old ghci REPL. Searching through Emacs
> Customize Haskell was confusing and my init only had one relevant entry
> anyway, which didn't help when I changed it.

[...]

> If you've gotten this far you probably know more
> about the Haskell Babel situation than you ever wanted to, but maybe you
> can sniff out where this hardwire is happening.

It's not hard coded (there is quite a lot of code just to guess the
right interpreter).  ob-haskell delegates the task to the
haskell-mode package; that's where you should be looking for to
configure it.

Also, if your Org file is not inside your haskell project, using the
:dir option may help haskell-mode to guess it right.

Else, did you try to customize haskell-process-type ?

There is also the option 'haskell-process-path-ghci', so, you should be
able to set the path manually too.  Or you've already forced it to
"/usr/bin/ghci" ?

Bruno