Re: [DISCUSSION] Face priority in Org fontification (was: [BUG] org date

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Face priority in Org fontification (was: [BUG] org dates, radio links, and special keywords override heading backgrounds [9.7 (9.7-??-902dacb @ /home/st/.config/emacs/.local/straight/build-30.0.50/org/)])
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 14:27:18 +0000

Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com> writes:

>> This is not an exhaustive list. We have a number of markup objects that
>> are fontified overriding the containing element/paragraph/heading face:
>>
>> - target links
>> - timestamps
>> - footnotes
>> - radio targets
>> - macros
>> - inline export snippets
>>
>> I am not 100% sure we should unconditionally prepend their faces to
>> the containing headline/table/etc.
>>
>> CCing Protesilaos. This discussion might be of interest for him.
>
> I think it makes sense to not override the background because otherwise
> the heading can look visually "broken". See attached screenshot for an
> example: it is called "demo-org-heading-with-background.png". In that
> screenshot I include an overline for the heading, to show how this is
> not limited to the background colour but extends to all face attributes.
> To this end, I also attach "demo-org-heading-with-more-height.png" which
> shows how the date is not scaling to match the heading's increased text
> height.

I agree that override (what we do now) is clearly not good.
The question, however, is whether we should prioritize object face over
the containing element face or vice versa:

Should link properties take precedence over headline or should headline
properties take precedence?

For example, if link explicitly sets face height to be smaller, should
we honor it? Or should we honor the headline face height, if set?
Similar for background. In your example, the white background override
does not really look nice when heading has its own background.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,