Forcing tab-width to be 8 makes using Python source blocks very difficul

From: Rudi C
Subject: Forcing tab-width to be 8 makes using Python source blocks very difficult
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 09:02:51 +0330

Recently, a breaking change has been introduced in Org mode that sets the default tab-width to 8 spaces (https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/8734y5d2gs.fsf@localhost/). This change has made using Python source blocks in Org mode challenging, as operations like `evil-org->` rely on `tab-width`, and Python code conventions typically use 4 spaces for indentation.

Moreover, using 8 spaces for indentation is generally unsuitable for small laptop screens, where screen real estate is of utmost importance. Personally, I have been using a hook to force `tab-width` back to 4 spaces, but this has resulted in persistent warnings:
```
Error running timer 'org-indent-initialize-agent': (error "Tab width in Org files must be 8, not 4.  Please adjust your 'tab-width' settings for Org mode.") [4 times]
```

In my opinion, the touted benefits of consistency brought by this breaking change do not justify the inconvenience it causes. I prefer customizable software that can be adapted to various situations, rather than enforcing uniform behavior.

PS: Please use Reply to All.