Re: Forcing tab-width to be 8 makes using Python source blocks very diff

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Forcing tab-width to be 8 makes using Python source blocks very difficult
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 09:41:53 +0000

Rudi C <rudiwillalwaysloveyou@gmail.com> writes:

> Recently, a breaking change has been introduced in Org mode that sets the
> default tab-width to 8 spaces (
> https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/8734y5d2gs.fsf@localhost/). This change
> has made using Python source blocks in Org mode challenging, as operations
> like `evil-org->` rely on `tab-width`, and Python code conventions
> typically use 4 spaces for indentation.

May you please provide more details on what exactly "evil-org->" refers
to and what specific problems you encountered?

> Moreover, using 8 spaces for indentation is generally unsuitable for small
> laptop screens, where screen real estate is of utmost importance.

May you please provide a detailed example where 8 spaces causes issues?
In source blocks specifically, we make sure that tab width visually
looks as in the corresponding source code buffer.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,