Re: Things got very slow: profiler output

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Things got very slow: profiler output
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 18:56:18 +0000

William Denton <william@williamdenton.org> writes:

>> Then, what about the latest main?
>
> I tried it, and I'm sorry to say all the same problems keep happening.
>
> I tried the test you mentioned here:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2024-03/msg00362.html
>
> I loaded up my big Org file and moved around a while.  I got:
>
> Function Name                              Call Count  Elapsed Time  Average
> Time
> org-fold-core--property-symbol-get-create  33325       0.0058796690
> 1.764...e-07
>
> I don't know if that's helpful.

You are getting similar numbers with me.
I suspect that your problem is different from Bruno's.

> For me all this is triggered by my work-diary.org file, which has fair bit of
> fontification in it: headings, 1200 clock entries, links, and so on.  It had
> a big clockable at the bottom, which gave me the "Stack overflow in regexp
> matcher" I mentioned last month:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2024-02/msg00347.html

Did you try setting org-highlight-latex-and-related to nil?

> Ihor and Bruno, might it help if we did a video call and shared screens to
> see problems live?  My Lisp is limited but I'll help how I can.

We may. Although I suspect that something peculiar in your Org file is
making the Emacs regexp engine choke. I am wondering what happens when
you try the default value of org-highlight-latex-and-related.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,