Re: Things got very slow: profiler output

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Things got very slow: profiler output
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 17:18:20 +0000

Bruno Cardoso <cardoso.bc@gmail.com> writes:
> See attached the profiler-report in emacs -Q and Org mode version 9.7-pre
> (release_9.6.20-1281-gfb61e8).
>
> In a new org file I created some headings, fold/unfold, and did some typing
> while recording.

This does not make sense.
The profiler trace implies
org-activate-folds -> org-fold-core-next-visibility-change ->
org-fold-core-next-folding-state-change ->
org-fold-core--property-symbol-get-create (takes most time)

But your benchmark showed that
`org-fold-core--property-symbol-get-create' cannot take that much
time...

Unless it is called 100k+ times.

May you do the following:

1. (require 'elp)
2. (elp-instrument-function #'org-fold-core--property-symbol-get-create)
3. Do actions in Org file
4. (elp-results)
5. See *ELP Profiling Results*
6. (elp-restore-all)

For me, the result is

Function Name                              Call Count  Elapsed Time  Average
Time
org-fold-core--property-symbol-get-create  27361       0.5646422580
2.063...e-05

(the time numbers are not real because instrumenting itself makes
function a lot slower, but we can compare the call count)

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,