Re: [bug] Smart quotes: confusion of apostrophe with second level quotes

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [bug] Smart quotes: confusion of apostrophe with second level quotes
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 13:49:03 +0000

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> The patch works fine, and I think it can prevent a lot of cases. But
> false positives can still appear. Consider (second level quotes open
> after the colon):
>
> "two articles: 'my friends' party' and 'the students' papers'"
>
> "A Greek folk song says: 'να 'ρθώ το βράδυ'"
>
> ==>
>
> \guillemotleft{}two articles: ``my friends'' party' and ``the students''
> papers'\guillemotright{}
>
> \guillemotleft{}A Greek folk song says: 'να ``ρθώ το βράδυ''\guillemotright{}

These are not false-positives, but ambiguity. There is no deterministic
way in this scenario to distinguish between apostrophe and smart quotes.

> I think the only solution here would be to introduce a Unicode
> apostrophe (’). Or allow an optional, alternative character for
> second-level quotes:
>
> "... `my friends' party` ..."

We may introduce \apostrophe entity.

"two articles: 'my friends\apostrophe party' and 'the students\apostrophe
papers'"

"A Greek folk song says: \apostrophe{}να \apostrophe{}ρθώ το βράδυ'"

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,