Re: [bug] Smart quotes: confusion of apostrophe with second level quotes

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [bug] Smart quotes: confusion of apostrophe with second level quotes
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 15:42:25 +0000

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> We may introduce \apostrophe entity.
>
> "two articles: 'my friends\apostrophe party' and 'the students\apostrophe
> papers'"
>
> "A Greek folk song says: \apostrophe{}να \apostrophe{}ρθώ το βράδυ'"

It's not a bad idea to use entities. I just discovered that an \rsquo
entity already exists. Right single quotation mark is the Unicode
recommended character for the apostrophe, and it is also the character
used in org-export-smart-quotes-alist[1].

Anyway, I think a) your patch could be a major improvement; b) perhaps a
brief note in the manual (I can send a tiny patch) should be added to
warn of possible ambiguities, and possible solutions.

[1] Although there are arguments against this Unicode recommendation,
see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_single_quotation_mark