Re: [Pre-PATCH] Overhaul of the LaTeX preview system

From: Корякин Артём
Subject: Re: [Pre-PATCH] Overhaul of the LaTeX preview system
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 00:49:43 +0300

> Please, evaluate the following expressions e.g. in the scratch buffer:
>
>     shell-file-name
; "pwsh.exe"
>     system-type
; windows-nt
>     (w32-shell-dos-semantics)
; nil
>     (w32-shell-name)
; "pwsh.exe"

For clarification:
I specifically configured[1] MS pwsh as default shell for emacs when I
was trying to get org-fc working[2]. I get some progress back then, but
in the end I just installed busybox using scoop[3] and removed
shell-quote-argument from org-fc functions[4].

> On Windows `shell-quote-argument' should use an escaping strategy
> quite different from POSIX systems. Disclaimer: I do not have a
> Windows box, so it is unlikely that I could help with further
> steps. Perhaps other functions should be used to deal with file names.

> Windows box

I need this laptop to run windows, because pirated CAD programms that I
need for studying would run only on Windows.
I also use emacs for studying and I plan to eventually switch to
KiCAD and freecad on the free operating system.

> Perhaps other functions should be used to deal with file names.

I will try to replace two functions that Karthik mentioned
org-latex-preview--tex-compile-async
org-latex-preview--image-extract-async
with their corresponding versions without shell-quote-argument.

But you also gave me another idea:
I could try to set default shell for emacs to sh that comes from
installed busybox package.

If there is an issue with shell-quote-argument behaving on windows like
on POSIX system, than it might be logical to try to launch these
commands using POSIX shell.

[1]:https://github.com/artsi0m/emacs-organizer/tree/1e1bac13b0f845cb622db08759b9e14fe35fcae7?tab=readme-ov-file#set-powershell-to-default-shell-on-windows

[2]: https://todo.sr.ht/~l3kn/org-fc/43#event-334320
[3]: https://scoop.sh
[4]:
https://github.com/artsi0m/emacs-organizer/tree/1e1bac13b0f845cb622db08759b9e14fe35fcae7?tab=readme-ov-file#org-fc-awkfind-on-windows

Sorry for resending this message again.
I forgot to add CC to mailing list.
I don't know how to do this automatically from gnus unfortunately.