Re: [ESPResSo] how to set up a charged plate

From: Axel Arnold
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo] how to set up a charged plate
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:08:34 +0200

On Tuesday 23 June 2009 12:35, gil claudio wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> How does one set up a plate that is uniformly charged?
>
> For example, I have a box 100 x 100 x 100 with a constraint wall at the
> bottom of the box.  I would like to charge this wall uniformly with, say a
> total charge of +50.  How can this be done?

Hi! First let met note that charged walls _only_ work with either MMM2D or
P3M/ELC with the noneutralization option of ELC; plain P3M will give
completely unphysical results, since the charged walls in Espresso are not
periodically replicated in the direction of their normal. Moreover, this
normal has to be parallel to the nonperiodic direction of MMM2D and P3M/ELC,
which is the third or z-axis. Therefore, you can only have a wall at the
bottom or top of the simulation box.

Such a charged wall is defined by the command:

constraint plate height <h> sigma <sigma>

where height is the z-coordinate of the wall (in your case 0) and sigma the
charge density (in your case 50/100x100).

Note that these are purely charged walls without volume interaction;
typically, you also want to add a normal Lennard-Jones wall at the same place
to avoid particles crossing the wall; since the particle-charged wall
interaction energy is simply 2 pi q sigma |z|, there is nothing preventing
particles from doing so.

Second note: if you introduce two identically charged walls at the top and
bottom, you can as well not introduce them - again due to the interaction
potential with a charged wall, they do not exert any forces on particles
between them.

Axel

--
Dr. Axel Arnold