fcp-general

[Fcp-general] Solutions Manual

From: Peter Hutnick
Subject: [Fcp-general] Solutions Manual
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:41:23 -0600

I have a bit of a quandary.

The Algebra book contains an appendix with the answers (only) to the odd numbered exercises. I am producing a "solutions manual" which is intended for teachers, and includes worked solutions to all the exercises. I might make a student's solutions manual that contains worked solutions to the odd problems, to be used by students at their teacher's discretion.

The problem is that, since the material is under the GFDL I/we/whoever have no control over distribution. Normally distribution of the teachers material is restricted by the publisher. Students can't simply order the teacher's solutions manual.

I tend to take a liberal view on this. There are any number of ways that students can cheat. The solution is to instill a value of integrity in the student. Teachers who value correct answers above learning motivate students to cheat. When learning is the goal it is quite natural for children to learn via experimentation: cheating is a response to dysfunctional teaching.

On the other hand, some people or institutions that might otherwise like to use our material might be put off by the fact that we have worked solutions to every problem in the book available for anonymous download in PDF format.

We could restrict the download of this material, and give out passwords to people who take reasonable steps to demonstrate that they are teachers/parents/administrators. But a PDF under the GFDL will surely get lose, and we can't put the genie back in the bottle.

So I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. All thoughts are welcome. This decision will probably set a precedent that will be far-reaching in the project, so speak up!

-Peter