fcp-general

Re: [Fcp-general] Solutions Manual

From: Wouter Vanden hove
Subject: Re: [Fcp-general] Solutions Manual
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:03:07 +0200

Peter Hutnick wrote:
I have a bit of a quandary.

The Algebra book contains an appendix with the answers (only) to the odd numbered exercises.

I *hate* that practice. It make decent selfstudy impossible.

That practice is not about studying or learning,
but to make lecturers lazy.

If a student does make the exercise, you can't check if your answer was correct or not.

If a learner doesn't do the exercise, then there's not a really a reason to include such exercises in the first place.

If textbook-solutions aren't given, then many times they are distributed via student-organisations behind the professors's back, just like exchanging exam questions.

We could restrict the download of this material, and give out passwords to people who take reasonable steps to demonstrate that they are teachers/parents/administrators.

Nobody can be stopped from posting the solutions online. So only one leak breaks the system.

Wouter
www.opencursus.org