RE: [freesci-develop] Win32 platform potential changes

From: Andrew Jakobs
Subject: RE: [freesci-develop] Win32 platform potential changes
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 18:48:42 +0200

> 3. I've noticed on Vista that FreeSCI does not put its config folder into>
> the location specified by Microsoft for applications (under AppData). This>
> is very apparent and looks unusual from a user's perspective in Explorer. I>
> would like to correct this for Vista at least, and preferably for all other>
> Win32 environments to keep them consistent. This would require user>
> education and if the folder is found in the incorrect location, that it be>
> moved and the user notified.
Hmm.. last one isn't really clear to me.. but knowing MS really screwed the
whole Program Files stuff up in Vista (which is really just a bogus thing they
did. at a conference only weeks before releasing Vista we as developers heard
about this during a seminar, and I can tell you that of the 300 users only
about 10 people already knew about this, and the rest of us also found it a
very stupid thing, it screws up a lot of programs).. the config file should
just stay with the program itself as with the 'old' programs (or at least make
it a choice for the user), so that way you don't get all the cluthered program
stuff, 1 folder to rule it all, not 10..
Remember user education is not something you want to do if you can avoid it..
Keep it simple is my motto, and going with a lot of different folders is far
from that..

Andrew Jakobs