Re: ttfautohint — additional feature requests.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: ttfautohint — additional feature requests.
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 19:25:11 +0100 (CET)

> High-power platforms with high-DPI displays are not the only place
> where FreeType might be deployed.  Case in point, I am using
> FreeType to render fonts on an ESP32 platform for a 72 DPI 128x96
> display.  Hinting (or at least reasonable antialiasing) is very
> important to make text readable on these small displays.  So don’t
> abandon the effort to do it and do it efficiently! :)

Well, I tried very hard to make FreeType's B/W TrueType rasterizer as
good as possible (there is still room for improvement, though).
However, ttfautohint is simply not the right tool IMHO to *create* B/W
hinting instructions.

In other words, nobody is going to abandon FreeType's capabilities in
displaying fonts on a B/W device with a low resolution.