Re: ttfautohint — additional feature requests.

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: ttfautohint — additional feature requests.
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 22:18:21 +0000

So I'm trying to read the email thread and am confused. Where is the original mail?

From what I am piecing together from the back and forth so far: I suggest you implement your ideas in a proof of concept (maybe even something that generates VTT code), so it can be tested.

Can't comment on the rest because I don't see the full context. Except for this:

> Seeing the community think like this is cringe. This only delays the development > of ttfautohint even further, even though bilevel optimized hinting is of course
> a very important feature. [...] All because of the
> mindset that blurry text is ever so slightly, but not really, better on higher > resolutions than on lower resolutions. That's desirable for a commercial company > like Microsoft (it can get away with selling systems that default to incorrect > gamma anti-aliasing, which looks awful regardless of resolution), but certainly > undesirable for free software. I suggest ttfautohint developers to immediately
> think of ways to achieve bilevel-optimized hinting.

Aaaaaaargh. I'm not sure if this has to do with English not being you native language, but this comes across exceptionally poorly. It is a mix of condescension, passing off opinion as fact and feeling entitled to tell someone else what to work on. I recommend you work on your communication style, as you'll quickly turn people off.