Re: ttfautohint's functionality from the removal of the infinality patch

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: ttfautohint's functionality from the removal of the infinality patch
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 10:43:48 +0000 (UTC)

On Friday, 25 August 2023 at 05:38:14 BST, Alexei Podtelezhnikov <apodtele@gmail.com> wrote:

> Infinality (v38) was substituted by v40 in 2.13.1. Anybody requesting
> v38 got v40 instead... and nobody even noticed. That is the whole
> point of the exercise: v40 is perfectly capable and better than just
> good enough. Now the code is physically gone for good. It is much
> better to improve faster and lighter v40 moving forward than dwelling
> on unmaintained, poorly understood, and riddled with exceptions v38.

"Better" is your personal opinion. Anyway, I think some of others' "personal opinion" (different from yours) is simply based on familiarity - some people are just more familiar with MS/Apple rendering, and therefore prefer it. In the end of the day, FreeType is not MS/Apple font scaler. Fact.

As long as v38 is different from v40, some part of it is closer than v40 to MS/Apple's. Also fact.