gcl-devel

Re: Compiler design reference sought

From: Chun Tian (binghe)
Subject: Re: Compiler design reference sought
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 20:34:35 +1100

Hi Camm,

Is it possible that the "iteration" in the GCL compiler that you
mentioned, may not terminate (i.e. falling into infinite loops) for
certain inputs?

The attached Lisp code is the very beginning part of AXIOM's "tangle"
utility for extracting code from LaTeX files. In my machine, GCL 2.7.0
compiler seems take forever to compile the (only) Lisp function in it.

My guess is that, in the function, many other Lisp functions are
referenced, but these functions are to be defined at later position of
the code, and thus their type information is unknown. GCL 2.6.x can
compile this file any way, but the current GCL 2.7.0 compiler seems
failing into infinite loops.

Regards,

Chun TIAN