Re: [Gnash-dev] VC7 portability coming soon

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] VC7 portability coming soon
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:17:28 -0700

Dima Codreanu wrote:

I will also post a fully configured solution file that builds the project, as well as all the aditional packets it took to compile gnash

I'd actually like to make a binary version of Gnash available while we beat these source changes into shape. Since I moved all the GUI code out of the plugin, and into the standalone player, it should also be possible to tweak plugin.cpp to work with the win32 version of Firefox. Getting the plugin working on win32 would be very cool.

in VC7. I think it will be a good idea to include the packets, since it took me a lot of time to hunt down ports to several packets that gnash depends on, and it might be helpful for a developer planning to work in Visual C++ to have them instead of searching them on the net. Although it is always a good idea to search for a particular packet again, since it might be updated.

There are various ways to add functions that don't exist using autoconf and automake. Some may be unnecessary, I'd have to see the patch to know. Once I get your patch, I'll go through all the differences and add what needs to be added.

As I don't have a win3 machine (they're not allowed in my house :-) ), we'll probably need to go back and forth a few times till I get the checked in version working 100% on win32 out of the box. I'll also test these so Mingw cross-builds still work.

I just wanted to ask you guys, how do you make patches? is there a program for that? I have never worked on an OpenSource project before, and I migh need some help to get started. Is there a program that makes diff files from my files and the files on CVS? where do you put the patches?

Yes, the diff program. You'll probably want the version that comes with Cygwin. use "diff -Naur olddir newdir > patchfile" if you are comparing two source trees, or just "cvs diff -Naur" in CVS. Since these are probably extensive changes, I'd also ask for a copy of your original files so I can also do my own diffing if I need to.

I'm currently working towards pushing out the first alpha release, but I think these changes will go in the following release, although I'd work on integrating them as soon as the release is done.