Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Text quality

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Text quality
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:19:07 +0200

Hello Rob,

Tuesday, October 3, 2006, 2:45:51 AM, you wrote:

RS> Udo Giacomozzi wrote:

>> They could both be based on the AGG backend (no hardware acceleration
>> except for blitting, though).

RS>   I'm not really that concerned about either the D3D or the Xbox backends.

>> Probably it's only advantage will be the OpenGL integration, but Cairo
>> does not do anti-aliasing.

RS>   If AGG supported an OpenGL driver, then that could work instead of
RS> using Cairo.

That would not make sense.

RS> I'm not really sure if we'd use OpenGL if the 2D backend is
RS> the same level of quality without needing hardware acceleration.

At the same level of quality - yes, probably even more accurate
(curves, anti-aliasing in adjacent edges). However, a accelerated
hardware could certainly outperform the AGG backend in terms of speed.

>> AGG is completely based on include files (since it heavily uses
>> templates). Can't it be distributed along with Gnash in one package?

RS>   The AGG 2.4 release has a library, and so do the binary packages for
RS> Fedora and Ubuntu, so it's not all header files.

True. I nearly forgot about that. However, libagg.a is only required
for special functions (to draw outlines, for example). I did not yet
understand why certain classes are contained in the lib and others do
not. However, to draw shapes (like glyphs) that lib is *not* needed.

Udo