Re: [Gnash-dev] Cross-compiling / configure dependency checks

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Cross-compiling / configure dependency checks
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 10:01:13 +0200

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 09:38:50AM +0200, Hannes Mayr wrote:

> I'm not an expert of autconf, so I don't know whats the normal way in
> this case, but maybe it could be a solution to include in every macro a
> switch (--enable-PKG=no) to disable the check. This is already done in
> opengl.m4, but is not available in others.
> Another point might be to only check for libraries/headers which are
> really used and to make the checks dependend from the choosen renderer
> and gui (why check for X11,SDL,GTK2,KDE/QT if the user has choosen AGG
> as renderer and framebuffer as GUI?).

Yes, I think we should fix this as well, I don't like things like SDL
to be linked when not really needed, for example.
So far the policy has been to just check every possibly used lib
from configure, no matter wheter it is asked by user to be enabled.
I think we might keep this policy and move the disabling of some
packages from within the local Makefile.am files, using the conditional
variables set at configure time to specify a configuration.
What I'd really like is to find out how to specify dependencies in the
proper subsystem rather then duplicating the info in all of them.
For example, *every* GUI-related dependency should be in the gui/Makefile.am
and *only* there, where automake and friends should derive the deps whenever
another subsystem whiches to link against libgnashgui.la. So far I couldn't
find a quick solution for this.

> BTW: I found a typo in jpeg.m4, line 99:
> ac_cv_path_jpeg_lib=`(cd ${with_jpeg_incl}; pwd)`
> should be
> ac_cv_path_jpeg_lib=`(cd ${with_jpeg_lib}; pwd)`

Fixed, thanks.