Re: [Gnash-dev] Cross-compiling / configure dependency checks

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Cross-compiling / configure dependency checks
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 09:05:54 -0600

strk wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 09:38:50AM +0200, Hannes Mayr wrote:

>> Another point might be to only check for libraries/headers which are
>> really used and to make the checks dependend from the choosen renderer
>> and gui (why check for X11,SDL,GTK2,KDE/QT if the user has choosen AGG
>> as renderer and framebuffer as GUI?).

> Yes, I think we should fix this as well, I don't like things like SDL
> to be linked when not really needed, for example.
> So far the policy has been to just check every possibly used lib

  The configuration process for Gnash hasn't been optimized at all as
you noticed. Typically with cross configuration you wind up using the
--with-*-incl or --with-*-libs at configuration time. Does this not work
? I do agree each package needs a switch as to whether it's needed or
not to produce executables for that configuration. (like not needing GTK
when doing an SDL build)

  If we just "turn off" configure tests, then you're stuck adding the
flags by hand to the generated Makefile. The current config macros have
a few interdependencies, but I like the idea of not running tests that
are unneeded. I'll look into it.