[Gnash-dev] Re: ActionScript errors (was: invalidated bounds interfaces)

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: ActionScript errors (was: invalidated bounds interfaces)
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 18:49:41 +0100

Hello strk,

Sunday, November 5, 2006, 1:08:05 PM, you wrote:
s> I see "printing" such warnings as a feature, I'm sure many flash coders
s> would agree on this. Yes, we need to only print such warnings when
s> using -v, and maybe use a special tag for it ('WARNING' so far are
s> usually used for SWF errors).

Agree! As a Flash coder I run often in the situation that I wonder
"why doesn't that movieclip respond to my commands" (and alike) until
I find out that there is a typo in one hard to find frame.

In the Flash IDE the only way to be sure you typed a command right is
when the editor highlights the keyword (syntax highlighting). Not even
during the export the IDE tells you when you're using an undefined
function.

It becomes very complicated when your movie can work online only
(because it needs to fetch data from a website, for example). You have
to create all sorts of custom debugging tools to find the problem.
Yes, Flash can debug movies embedded in web sites but that thing
nearly freezes your computer and I don't even need watching variables
when I just want to receive trace() messages.

So, yes, optional warning messages are *very* useful. :)

>>  Gnash must work the same way otherwise it will be perceived as
>> inferior to the adobe player

Without the -v argument it would do so (or maybe we could use a
dedicated command line / configuration file switch).

Udo