Re: [Gnash-dev] dangers of intrusive_ptr misuse

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] dangers of intrusive_ptr misuse
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 11:10:18 +0100

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 08:15:04PM +0000, Martin Guy wrote:
> >The attached testcase contains a "forbid-deletion" mechanism making
> >debugging
> >easier. We might want to add this to gnash as well when facing similar
> >problems
>
> If possible we should keep the code complexity down rather than
> introducing more high-powered custom mechanisms, otherwise it'll be
> hard ever to shake the bugs out of it, and it'll leave traps for
> future programmers who may now know exactly which dance they have to
> perform to allocate and free objects safely... even if that means
> using some standard GC.

I agree custom mechanisms would make things more complex, but "standard" ones
would make them cleaner. In this case, the "standard" mechanism would be
adopting the RAII idiom
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Acquisition_Is_Initialization)
thus making sure that pointers are never passed around as raw ones.