Re: [Gnash-dev] Boost intrusive pointers

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Boost intrusive pointers
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 09:41:57 +0200

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 01:38:19PM +0900, Chad Musick wrote:
> We use the intrusive_ptr throughout Gnash, but I don't see how it
> functions properly.  The webpages I've read about it say that it needs
> some reference counting helper functions defined for each template
> instance, and I don't see any of these.  My boost book hasn't arrived
> yet (apparently isn't yet in print), so perhaps I'm misunderstanding.
>
> Can someone point me to a good tutorial on how these work?

http://www.boost.org/libs/smart_ptr/intrusive_ptr.html

Ref-counting helper functions defined in libbase/smart_ptr.h,
they are intrusive_ptr_add_ref and intrusive_ptr_release.

We have two versions of those methods, one for GcResources and
one for ref_counted. This was an hack to allow an easy switch
between RC and GC models (ie: keep all pointers in the same
intrusive_ptr wrapper).

As you can see, the version for GcResource does nothing.
The version for ref_counted calls the appropriate refcount
menagement functions.