Re: [Gnash-dev] newbie question - how to compile swf

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] newbie question - how to compile swf
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:52:29 +0100

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 03:49:17PM +0100, Dusan Halicky wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm newbie here and I have few question.
>
> 1. How can I create (compile?) a source code (e.g. of flash game) into
> .swf (or .fla?) file? I wan't to develop some flash game.

There are a few different compilers for ActionScript, and SWF output
libraries. An SWF movie is made up of:

        - Definition tags
        - Playback control tags
        - Actions

With SWF version 6 or higher you can code the whole game only using actions,
but adding complex animations with a pure ActionScript application is
harder then embedding definitions.

Ming (libming.org) is library which takes care of all aspects.
You can find other tools on osflash.org.

A longer answer is here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnash/2007-11/msg00015.html

> 2. I wan't to use also gnash if possible. I assume gnash support only
> subset of original adobe's flash so if I use things that works in
> gnash, it will work in original flash too, right?

Not necessarely. Some things are surely handled in a diferent way, not
intentionally, but just because not tested trougougly. It's not easy
to test all different invalid ways a call is made or a tag is composed.

Your best bet is building your application in blocks, and test each block as
you go with both players. Doing so you'll likely also be in a position to
help us with improving compatibility.

> 3. Is there some simple test swf files for gnash with source? If so, I
> may use them for learning. Thanks.

We're full of testcases all with sources, look under testsuite.