Re: [Gnash-dev] Proposal: Bittorrent support for Gnash

From: Rene Bartsch
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Proposal: Bittorrent support for Gnash
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:31:52 +0100 (CET)

>   Which is one of the reasons I'm working on Cygnal again. Other than
> just creating yet another video streaming server, (although Cygnal also
> speaks RTMP*/HTTP/SWF) I'd like Cygnal to be more useful. I have
> considered a bittorrent like protocol, maybe bittorrent, or maybe
> something similar for distributed streaming.
>   Which is one of the reasons I'm working on Cygnal again. Other than
> just creating yet another video streaming server, (although Cygnal also
> speaks RTMP*/HTTP/SWF) I'd like Cygnal to be more useful. I have
> considered a bittorrent like protocol, maybe bittorrent, or maybe
> something similar for distributed streaming.

For providing pre-produced content (like movies) you could go for the
Osprey approach. They use a special Bittorrent client called "Permaseed",
which in fact is a trimmed down BT-client (but written from scratch) to
act as server. The Osprey tracker only tells the clients that the
Permaseed has a block if the block doesn't exist in the swarm anymore.

That concept can be ported to a DHT system. The Permaseed checks the DHT
tables if there are enough seeders for a block to make sure the block is
available and distribution latencies are low. If there are enough seeders
per leechers the Permaseed denies requests, otherweise it answers
requests. So you can keep the upstream traffic low and don't need a
complete BT client.

Renne