Re: [Gnash-dev] performance: 1000 wakeups/sec when idle!

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] performance: 1000 wakeups/sec when idle!
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 15:28:28 +0200

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 12:28:06PM -0700, John Gilmore wrote:

> I am running "powertop" on Ubuntu 9.04 on an Acer Aspire One, and have
> gnash-0.8.5 (the standard Ubuntu package) running in a web browser for
> YouTube.  Powertop showed more than 1000 wakeups/second from gnash
> doing nanosleeps.
>
> The screen only refreshes at 60 Hz; you can't draw any faster than
> that.  Why is gnash waking up at 1-ms intervals?

Good question. Are you using the GTK gui ? Do you get the same wakeup
timing with the -r1 switch ? Can you reproduce with an empty SWF
(makeswf -o output.swf emptyfile.as) ? Does it only happen at the
beginning (while loading) ?

> When I pause the
> video, it goes up to about 400 wakeups/sec (140 from
> schedule_hrtimeout_range from gnash, and 120 from do_nanosleep from
> gnash).

I don't think gnash is calling those two functions directly, must
be some dependent library.

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!