Re: [Gnash-dev] Mips port...

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Mips port...
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 09:29:30 -0600

Ramesh Chandra wrote:

>    My mips platform is little endian. What clock rate you are exactly
> mentioning? because we have a 700Mhz Mips cpu of the same series, yet to try
> gnash in it.  Do you think

  I'm not home to double check, but recall my two MIPS/Loongson machines
ran at either 700 or 800Mhz. At that speed I could do software rendering
of YouTube adequately. Simpler swf files played just fine. Typically
ffmpeg has better performance than gstreamer.

  Certain types of animations in Gnash may perform better or worse
depending on our implementation. We spend more time focusing on
compatibility than performance unfortunately. Once we get better swf
v9/10 support working, we'll be able to consider going after performance
issues more than we have been.

  Gnash is seriously under resourced these days, and with what little
funding we manage to get, we focus on the compatibility issue, as it's
important. More funding would mean more time to work on performance
issues, which is a time consuming task. Patches would also be welcome.

>    And also, the same target has been ported with macromedia flash running
> windows Ce. The same .swf files runs fine up there with out any performance
> degradation.(not videos, only simple animated .swf files)..This proves that
> the target can perform well on the same .swf files with 400 Mhz too...  Some
> thing needs to be optimized?  Please correct me if i am wrong.

  I've got several 400Mhz platforms (Geode GX & Geode LX based), and had
no problems with simpler swf files either. I've even been able to do
YouTube at around 12fps with software rendering, but again, some files
played great, and some didn't, and I'm not sure what the differences
were. Course in those cases I had optimized both GCC and GLIBC, which I
guess was cheating. :-)

  As far as I can remember, a 400Mhz MIPS is slower than a 400Mhz Geode.