Re: [Gnash-dev] AVM2/AS3 status, SWF10 movies, etc

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] AVM2/AS3 status, SWF10 movies, etc
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:19:52 +0100

Am Samstag, den 24.10.2009, 12:46 -0700 schrieb John Gilmore:
> We have a week remaining in the month.  Lots of infrastructures have
> been shifted in better directions.  Can we get a status report?
>
> Last time I knew, we weren't able to do some very basic things in the
> SWF10 player.  Which of those are fixed, which still need work?

One basic thing that I know about - MovieClip construction - and it's
closer to being fixed. As I said, it required a lot of work to rewrite
code that relied on the design problem of MovieClips being a subclass of
as_object. Most of this is done, and I have started, though not for the
first time, on finally separating DisplayObject typing from normal
objects.

The work has had many benefits for AS2 compatibility and code clarity,
so it's not all just abstract redesign for the future.

> Is there anything we can do to push this work toward solving a
> specific problem, such as getting the default YouTube player to run
> again?  Having a user problem to solve -- an endpoint -- sometimes
> helps to focus a project toward what's attainable.

True, but it would be getting ahead of ourselves at the moment. It
really is necessary to get Gnash fundamentally in a position to be able
to work on AS3 - i.e. to have things flexible enough to take whatever
AVM2 throws at as -, and only after that (e.g. when simple movies work,
which they currently don't) is it worth looking at targets like youtube.

I also don't know of a free decompiler for AVM2, and without that
getting any SWF to work is hit-and-miss. I don't think there is much
chance of google giving us the code, though they were relatively helpful
with the AVM1 player.

> Benjamin said in mid-August:
> > Indeed, it's rather important for us work out what on earth typeof()
> > means for haxe, instead of relying on whatever black magic (or more
> > likely just plain typeof or instanceof opcodes) haxe uses. Inheritance
> > is one of the things Gnash is poor at, in both AVM1 and AVM2, because of
> > the way objects are implemented using C++ subclasses.
> >
> > It's also the central reason why not much apart from tracing works in
> > AS3: because the main timeline is a subclass of MovieClip or Sprite,
> > which Gnash simply can't instantiate with the present code. I hope to
> > get this sorted out in the process of fixing prototypes and object
> > instantiation in the next couple of weeks.

This was rather too optimistic - by the end of August I estimated 4-6
weeks to fix MovieClips, September was unfortunately a wash-out, so that
makes end of October to mid-November. I still think this is right.

--
The current release of Gnash is 0.8.5
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

Benjamin Wolsey, Software Developer - http://benjaminwolsey.de