[Gnash-dev] New Gnash features for 0.8.8

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: [Gnash-dev] New Gnash features for 0.8.8
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:32:13 +0100

Many things in Gnash could be improved by the next release. But as Gnash
is currently unfunded, important features will be slow in coming.

Here is an incomplete list of things that I can improve or newly
implement in Gnash in a relatively short space of time (between 1 and 4
weeks):

1. Reliable text handling (html text, text formatting, positioning etc).
Currently this is not correct and fails in many cases.

2. BitmapData: rendering to an internal buffer for use in ActionScript.
This is used for image handling in many SWF8 movies.

3. RTMP. I have recently added a working RTMP implementation. Some
students are working on integrating this into Gnash core, and remoting
and video support will be ready for the next release. But going beyond
the basic implementation and ironing out many bugs will need more time
than I have to spend on it.

4. Dynamic focal gradients, gradient spread and interpolation modes.

5. Playback of obfuscated SWFs.

6. Direct conversion of SWF to video using ffmpeg.

If you are interested in funding development of these, or any other
improvements, please contact me.

You can also send feature requests to this mailing list, as other
developers may also be interested.

bwy

--
Use Gnash, the GNU Flash Player!