Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: buildbot: UTF8 locale

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: buildbot: UTF8 locale
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 09:37:08 +0100

Am Dienstag, den 23.11.2010, 07:52 +0100 schrieb strk:
> Thanks for the info Petter,
> I'm wondering if we should NOT rely on the system locale
> at all (except for having an UTF-8 installed).
> This I mean in gnash core, not external code like test runners.
> Ben, would it be sensible to look for an UTF-8 local at start
> time and use it when needed for conversions ?

It's not an easy thing to do because

1) C++ doesn't have a list of available locales, so the only way to
access them is trial and error.
2) Names of locales aren't standard, and particularly Windows uses
completely different names.
3) You can't really tell from the name whether a particular locale
supports the conversion we need.

The only failsafe way to do such conversions is to provide our own case
conversion code (using a library if possible). Using locales to do it
was just a convenience.

The concern here is that case conversion can't be done reliably without
contextual understanding of a language, which means that different
methods choose different imperfect ways of mapping lower to upper case,
and finding one that does the same as Adobe isn't trivial.

bwy

Use Gnash, the GNU Flash Player!
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

Benjamin Wolsey, Software Developer - http://benjaminwolsey.de