Re: [Gnash-dev] Using mozilla gnash plugin with authenticated proxy

From: Sandro Santilli
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Using mozilla gnash plugin with authenticated proxy
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 16:14:14 +0200

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 10:31:07AM -0300, Rogerio Vinhal Nunes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use gnash in an environment where I have to connect to the
> Internet via an authenticated proxy, but it isn't working.
>
> Trying youtube for example, I get an "An error has occured, try again
> later" message as I click "play". The squid log shows TCP_DENIED access to
> the youtube video because the HTTP GET doesn't use the user credentials
> configured in firefox.
>
> Is this a known issue? Is it hard to implement a fix?

Gnash starts http connections itself, rather than requesting them
from the hosting application (firefox in this case).
In other cases we've been signalling useful informations from the
hosting application to the standalone at startup time. We do this
for cookies, for instance.

So one way to fix this would be to do the same for authentications,
using environment variables if possible. Gnash uses libcurl so I
would start there to find out how to instruct Gnash about that.
I shall notice that this mechanism (one shot) won't allow changing
passwords or adding more account during a single playback run.

A more sophisticated way would be implementing an in-process plugin
and provide hosting application services for network connections.

Looking forward to your contribution :)