Re: Data Calls - No Carrier

From: Christopher Kemp
Subject: Re: Data Calls - No Carrier
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:20:56 +0100

On 2002.05.01 10:11 Warren Flemmer wrote:

> >From a quick glance, it looks to me as if your service provider is not
> >letting you (normally) use RLP version 0 (which hasn't got V32
> >compression).  The XID discussion above seems to get 'stuck' on Ver 1.
> >Although they should be backwards compatible to ver 0 a couple of other
> >people have had this problem as well.  I'm afraid there's probably
> nothing
> >you can do except check a different physical position (perhaps the base
> >station is different?) or write some compression support.....
> >
> >I'll try and do compression support at some point - but it's unlikely to
> be
> >before the summer - and last time I checked, orange here in the uk
> didn't
> >support mode 1.....
> >

> I am not sure I understand properly. Are you saying the server side is
> causing the error
> or the base station? The server side I can do something about (its at
> the office), the base
> station is beyond my control.

Well, to be honest I'm not exactly sure - it is the 'thing' which the phone
talks RLP to....I'm not sure whether this is the actual base station, or
whether it is something between that and the service providers 'outgoing'
modem bank.  Anyway, I don't mean the server I'm afraid - I'm sure this XID
discussion occurs before your server modem picks up.  Given that you have
mixed success I guess it could well be dependant on the particular base
station you happen to be talking to.

Chris