Re: Questions on smsd

From: Stefan Schoeman
Subject: Re: Questions on smsd
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:11:09 +0200

Hello Jan,

> I'm sorry for late respond but I was thinking about you request.

No problem! You've done such a great job with smsd that the last thing you
deserve is
people bugging you for support.  Thanks for responding.

> > Would it be possible to only add the ability for executing an external
> > program on reception of an sms and still RETAIN the database
functionality
> > as well ? Almost like loading 1½ modules ?

> It is possible but I don't see effect of this module. If you have SQL
> db you can add trigger on table and you can run stored function,
> generate signal or run external program when new SMS is inserted.

Yes, I didn't think of that :( - good idea.
What I've done in the meantime is to just do the submission work in PHP
instead.
PHP now does access validation and generates the file for sending sms. On
receiving SMS, I have the file module call my sms processing program.
May I add that the file module, like the mysql module, works perfectly.

> If you really need this module you can very easy combine one of sql
modules
> with file module and add your own pluggin to smsd.

Yes, I seriously considered that. But I'm still a little too shaky with C
under Linux ;)
The syntax is no problem, but figuring out what functions are available in
glibc is hard for a
newcomer to C under Linux ;) However, I just had to write the program that
gets called
from smsd's file module on reception of a new SMS. I unfortunately needed a
bit more than
just a shell script, so I'm learning ;)

Thanks again for your help.

Stefan