info on connecting with 5165

From: James Gregurich
Subject: info on connecting with 5165
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 21:19:49 -0500

hello all.

My name is james, and I am just joining. I am a MacOS X developer, and I am interested in writing OS X software to interface with a nokia 5165.

I've been scouring the web for information on how to interface with the phone, and I"m experimenting with gnokii to see how that works. I have a data cable that connects the phone to a linux box with a 9 pin serial port. I have tried running gnokii on the linux box and here are the results:

address@hidden bayou0]$ gnokii --getdatetime
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
Telephone interface init failed! Quitting.

I don't know if gnokii simply won't work with the phone or if I simply have it misconfigured. I have no clue what the baud rate and other serial port parameters need to be to successfully connect to the phone.

Here are my questions:

1) in principle, should gnokii work with my phone? If it should, can anyone give me any guidance on what serial port settings I need?

2) if gnokii does not work, should I be able to connect to the phone with the serial port and be able to change things like the phone book? If so, what are the details or links to the details?

3) I configured the build of gnokii with "./configure --with-x"; however, xgnokii doesn't seem to be building. what am I doing wrong with that?

Any tips would be appreciated. If I get gnokii working on Linux, and it looks useful, I'll port it to OS X.

thanks,
James Gregurich