Re: mail2sms

From: BORBELY Zoltan
Subject: Re: mail2sms
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:47:42 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 09:00:01PM +0300, Dragos Manac wrote:
> My name is Dragosh, I'm a Linux SA. I want to set up a mail2sms gateway
> to monitor our server conectivity. I have a spare Nokia 5110 phone. I
> would like to know:
>
> Is there  a better way of sending SMS than using a phone? Are FCDs
> faster in sending messages?

Maybe you can contact to your provider. They can offer bulk sms service
which is usually cheaper and faster.

> How many message can I send in one minute using Nokia 5110? What phone
> model is faster in sending SMS (messages/minute ratio)?

The real limit of the number of sms sent per minute is the delay of
the sms center. The phone have to wait for the acknowledge first.

> The GSM operator asks to shut down / turn on the phone after sending 25
> messages (a Microsoft inspired practice I think). Can I do a soft reset
> of the phone using Hayes commands?

gnokiid don't support it, but you can use gnokii --reset to reset
your phone.

> Can I set the phone up only to send messages and reject incoming calls?

The easiest way to divert incoming calls to another number. The other
solution is to catch incoming call to get the call id and call
GN_OP_CancelCall to reject it.

Bye,
Bozo