Re: Spaces in phone numbers?

From: Helge Deller
Subject: Re: Spaces in phone numbers?
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 22:47:03 +0200

On Friday 08 August 2003 10:12, Simon Waters wrote:
> Helge Deller wrote:
> > FYI, the KDE CVS HEAD version (for KDE 3.2) and KDE Addressbook
> > has a direct gnokii-based import/export filter built-in. So you won't
> > need to use LDAP as intermediate file format to your phone.
>
> The original data source is OpenLDAP, I'm currently using Kaddressbook
> (KDE 3.1.3) to import it so I can copy it to the phone via Knokiisync.
>
> I asked if there were LDIF to gnokii converters but everyone around here
> kept quiet.

With KDE 3.2 you can import LDIF files into KAddressbook and directly
export it to your phone (using the gnokii library).

> My KDE wishlist would be;
>
> Kmail should query LDAP servers directly for autocomplete of mail
> addresses. Seems odd it doesn't do this already, most other mail clients
> do.

It does in KDE 3.1.3 and CVS HEAD (3.2).

> Some sort of Kaddressbook/LDAP server synchronisation. Looks like I may
> (soon?) be able to store KAddressbook data in the LDAP server directly,
> which may do what I want, although in most cases you need some sort of
> sanity check along the lines of what Knokiisync is trying to do,
> whenever you synchronise address books unless one is clearly a master
> copy and the rest just slaves.

This might become possible. You should ask on the address@hidden
mailinglist. IMHO things like a LDAP KRessource and the planned kitchensync
application is what you want.

> > Until KDE 3.2 will be released, gnokii should work around the
> > additional characters which I remove in the KAddressbook im-/export
> > filter too.
>
> Sounds good, looking at the 3.2 screenshots the PIM tools seem to be
> getting far more sophisticated, but the whole area of mobile phone / PDA
> synchronisation seems a bit messy currently.

Yes. Current plan at KDE is to replace Kandy and Knokiisync (which is based on
the Kandy source) with kitchensync.

Helge