Re: How to write a phone number ?

From: Hadmut Danisch
Subject: Re: How to write a phone number ?
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 00:44:03 +0100

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:06:54PM +0100, Pawel Kot wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Hadmut Danisch wrote:
>
> > - LDIF does not work properly, LDIF entries generated
> >   with Mozilla can't be processed correctly with gnokii.
> >   Either a format error is issued, or the mobile crashes
> >   or the phone numbers are missing.
>
> I have no info here to fix anything.

I have resposted the posting.

> > - Other formats like raw or normal output lack description
> >   and gnokii doesn't even accept the files written by itself.
>
> It does. Again, I have not info from you here to fix anything.

I didn't know that I need to generate an addressbook in
raw format. Should be mentioned in the help.

It should also be mentioned that it reads the phonebook from
stdin.

Bug: When not giving -o, it prints a long list of
Overwrite? (yes/no)
Incorrect answer [8]
Overwrite? (yes/no)
Incorrect answer [8]
Overwrite? (yes/no)
Incorrect answer [8]
Overwrite? (yes/no)

messages. You can't read the phonebook from stdin and ask
the user to give input on stdin at the same time. Either
accept a file parameter or read the user input from /dev/tty

Is there a description of the raw format available? I need to
generate it from within a script.

Which characters are allowed for numbers? + - / space ?

I also tried to write an address generated with
Mozilla Addressbook (ldif export). It generates this
error message:

andromeda% /usr/lib/gnokii/gnokii --writephonebook -n -l <../adr1.ldif
GNOKII Version 0.5.8
Format problem on line [dn: cn=Danisch, Hadmut Test,address@hidden
Data format is not valid.

Well, mozilla has a problem with the comma, but even after
removing it:

GNOKII Version 0.5.8
Format problem on line [dn: cn=Danisch]
Data format is not valid.

And now I try to write LDIF data I have previously written
with gnokii itself:

%/usr/lib/gnokii/gnokii --getphonebook ME 1 end --ldif > x.ldif
% /usr/lib/gnokii/gnokii --writephonebook -n -l < x.ldif
GNOKII Version 0.5.8
Format problem on line [dn: cn=John Doe]
Data format is not valid.

And my 6210 crashed several times when trying to write
LDIF data. And as I mentioned, when I read the addressbook
to LDIF file format, very often phone numbers are missing.

regards
Hadmut