Re: How to write a phone number ?

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: How to write a phone number ?
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 20:23:00 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Hadmut Danisch wrote:

> I didn't know that I need to generate an addressbook in
> raw format. Should be mentioned in the help.

I was able to save ldif format entry to the phone. But raw format should
be the safest one.

> It should also be mentioned that it reads the phonebook from
> stdin.
>
> Bug: When not giving -o, it prints a long list of
> Overwrite? (yes/no)

I know, it is a known bug. I'm trying to "steal" the solution from some
other gpled code, but it doesn't have the higherst priority.

> messages. You can't read the phonebook from stdin and ask
> the user to give input on stdin at the same time. Either
> accept a file parameter or read the user input from /dev/tty

The latter will make gnokii not portable. I was really happy to see gnokii
working under WinXP and iMac MacOS X

> Is there a description of the raw format available? I need to
> generate it from within a script.

It's simple,
<name>;<number>;<memory_type>;<entry_location>;<caller_group>;<subenty_no>;<subentry_text>;...
Sunentries are optional. You are not allowed to use ';' inside the fields.
Other format problem may be generated by the phone,

> I also tried to write an address generated with
> Mozilla Addressbook (ldif export). It generates this
> error message:
>
> andromeda% /usr/lib/gnokii/gnokii --writephonebook -n -l <../adr1.ldif
> GNOKII Version 0.5.8
> Format problem on line [dn: cn=Danisch, Hadmut Test,address@hidden
> Data format is not valid.

It's probably my mozilla saves entries in a bit different way. Could you
please send me the file and say which mozilla version is this?

> %/usr/lib/gnokii/gnokii --getphonebook ME 1 end --ldif > x.ldif
> % /usr/lib/gnokii/gnokii --writephonebook -n -l < x.ldif
> GNOKII Version 0.5.8
> Format problem on line [dn: cn=John Doe]
> Data format is not valid.

A bit strange, but again debug output is needed. Is seems that you really
didn't read Docs/Bugs.

> And my 6210 crashed several times when trying to write
> LDIF data.

Crashed? You mean what?

take care,
mailto:address@hidden