Re: Charset on Windows

From: Jari Turkia
Subject: Re: Charset on Windows
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:38:37 +0300

address@hidden wrote:
I am using Gnokii on a Windows-based system, with the command line. The problem is: when I type a small letter e with acute (é) the SMS is incorrectly transmitted...
Don't tell me to go to *nix :p...!!

I've looked in the mailing-list archives for hours, I've found interesting posts regarding the EURO symbol being represented in Hex by \x0a4 but when I tried to transmit this, it wasn't translated into a 7-bit char but remained in extenso... :(

Even if I wanted to switch on Unicode-based SMS, how can I input the chars correctly?

This is an outstanding issue on Windows. Simply put: most of the charset stuff does not work properly.

I had a lengthy discussion with Pawel about this and currently all conversions are off for the purpose of getting the thing compile on Windows. The way character conversions should be done is to query for the effective code page and do any possibly required charset conversions accordingly. Currently most ISO-8859-1 (aka. Latin-1) characters are handled correctly.

Which code page are you using?

Regards,
Jari Turkia