Re: Charset on Windows

From: mailing
Subject: Re: Charset on Windows
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:54:27 +0000

Hello Jari,

Thank you for your message.

Which code page are you using?

I wanted to use/input this charset, but I don't know how to do it:
http://www.smsmac.com/help/discover/aboutsms/gsm7bita.php

This is an outstanding issue on Windows. Simply put: most of the charset stuff
does not work properly.

It seems that the problem comes mainly from the use of the Windows CP1252 table.
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/sbcs/1252.mspx
*nix OS users can customized their table from their config, but it's not
possible with Windows (only Win-tables are available).

BUT! I found interesting posts in the mailing-list archives from Chinese/Hong
Kong users that did transmit chinese characters with Gnokii, by using files'
input. Tomorrow I am going to do such tests with Unicode and UTF-8
encoded-files. I will post an update to the mailing-list soon!

Regards,
jcn50.